Civic and School Life

Take a Tour
Shortcut to Civic and School Life Feature Site.

Click on the thumbnails to enlarge photos.

  

Locate tour sites on the
1888 Faribault bird's-eye map.

Buckham Library
9 Division Street

  Style: Moderne Year built: 1929-1930
  This excellent example of the architectural influence of Art Deco was commissioned by Anna Buckham as a memorial to her husband Thomas, a local leader, judge, and state senator.
Designed by Buckham’s nephew, the architect Charles Buckham, the library emphasizes Thomas Buckham’s interest in Greek life and culture. The stained glass windows in the building were designed and constructed by Charles Connick of Boston and the murals depicting Greek life and philosophy were painted by Alfred J. Hyslop, an art instructor at nearby Carleton College. The building includes 5,224 Kasota limestone blocks from the nearby St. Peter area. The Buckham’s home originally stood on the hill behind the library site.

Faribault City Hall
208 1st Avenue NW
    FEATURE SITE
  Style: Renaissance Revival Year built: 1894
 

This red brown sandstone and brick building includes steps and columns of Ortonville granite in its construction. It was designed by Minneapolis architect Harry W. Jones, who is also credited with the National Register-listed Butler Brothers Company building in Minneapolis. Originally, the City Hall contained both civic offices and a public library, and the two parts were completely separated by a brick wall extending from basement to roof. When the building was restored in 1980, details from the original interior were retained and restored to the present council chambers. (Inside, the petitioner’s desk in front of the old courtroom railing was used by the judge who sentenced the Younger brothers to life imprisonment in Stillwater for their part in the Northfield robbery in 1876.) More....

Rice County Jail
128 3rd Street NW

  Style: Romanesque Revival Year built: 1910
 

The social services offices of the county are housed in this restored 1910 building that served for years as the Rice County Jail. The structure, built of cinder brick and Kettle River cut stone, includes an impressive rounded tower accenting the entrance and a red tile roof. Albert Schippel of Mankato was the architect, and the contractor was William O’Neil and Son of Faribault.

Rice County Courthouse
218 3rd Street NW

  Style: Moderne Year built: 1934
 

The Art Deco courthouse, constructed of native limestone and dedicated in 1934, includes an inlaid marble floor map of the county and an overhead rotunda and dome. It is the third courthouse for the county; the first was outgrown, the second partially destroyed by fire in 1931. Rice County at one time was comprised of a large portion of southeastern Minnesota. An election in 1855 changed the location of the county seat from Cannon City to Faribault, contributing to the town’s success.

Plymouth Congregational Church
227 3rd Street NW

  Style: Romanesque Revival Year built: 1867
 

The church, built of native blue limestone, is modeled inside and out after a typical New England church. It was designed by St. Paul architect Monroe Sheire. The church bell, originally belonging to the town’s first congregational church, weighed 1,000 pounds and came by river from Whitinsville MA, then by ox cart from Hastings, MN. When the first two Congregational churches united in 1874, the bell from the first church was moved to its current location. The central memorial window of the church is titled "The Resurrection Morning". It was made in New York and shipped to Faribault.

First Methodist Church/Fourth Avenue United Methodist Church
219 4th Avenue NW

  Style: Classical Revival Year built: 1915
 

This church, strongly resembling a Greek temple, was dedicated in December, 1915. It is the third church on the site; not surprising, since the land was given to church founders with the strict stipulation that the site always be used for a church. Distinguishing architectural details of the building include the great dome over the sanctuary and the Tuscan style columns.

Memorial Guild House
515 2nd Avenue NW

  Style: Gothic Revival Year built: 1894
 

Because the Cathedral was Bishop Whipple’s own "See Church", it was often unavailable to the congregation of the Church of the Good Shepherd. Therefore, church leaders in 1894 laid the cornerstone of the Guild House in memory of the Bishop’s brother, Reverend George Brayton Whipple, who had served as rector of the Church for many years. The Guild House, designed by William H. Jewett from New Haven, CT, features rockfaced sandstone and brick with a hipped and gabled roof. Interior features include the processional frieze which surrounds the dining hall, the fine stained glass windows, and a replica of Boston Library’s color mural of the Search for the Holy Grail.

Shumway Hall at Shattuck-St. Mary’s School
near 900 Shumway Avenue NE, west side

  Style: Gothic Revival Year built: 1887
 

Architects Wilcox and Johnston of St. Paul designed this rough cut stone building, which serves as Shattuck School’s main academic structure. Note the complex mass of towers, turrets, gables, arches and windows. The 400-seat auditorium is reputed to have "nearly perfect acoustics." The building was a gift from Mrs. Augusta Shumway of Chicago as a memorial to her late husband.

Good Shepherd Chapel at Shattuck-St.Mary’s School
near 900 Shumway Avenue NE, west side

  Style: Gothic Revival Year built: 1872
 

Considered one of the finest examples of English Gothic architecture in the Upper Midwest, the Chapel’s steeple is one of only a few in the U.S. constructed of stone. The chapel is constructed of blue limestone, quarried at the south edge of Shattuck’s campus. Interior features include a monastic pew arrangement (all pews face the center aisle) and stained glass windows designed and cut by Carvers of London in 1871.

Noyes Hall, MN State Academy for the Deaf
Olof Hanson Drive

  Style: Classical Revival Year built: 1902-1910
 

This limestone academic building was constructed in three stages. The east wing, built in 1902, houses 12 classrooms and, originally, a basement-level bowling alley. The west wing was built from 1907-1908 and houses school offices and programs. The central auditorium, built from 1909-1910, joined the two older buildings into one. The building is named for the school’s second superintendent, Jonathan L. Noyes, who came from Philadelphia and was the school administrator for 30 years. The building, constructed of local limestone quarried near Falls Creek Park, was designed by C.H. Johnston, Sr. of St. Paul.

 

   

Downtown District | Homes & Neighborhoods | Civic & School Life | Limestone Building Traditions

Home | Heritage Preservation | Kids Page | Timeline | Faribault Tourism | Index/Search | About this Site
©2002 City of Faribault, Minnesota | Faribault HPC