Q. Where should I report complaints of wandering or lost pets, barking dogs, or other nuisance animals?
A. They may be reported to the City of Faribault Police, Special Services Department, at 507-332-6007.


Q. Where can I pay my water bill?
A. Please see the Finance Department's Utility Billing page.

Q. My water bill seems rather high. Whom do I call with questions?
A. You can call Utility Billing to have it investigated. See Water and Sewer Rates below to see an explanation and breakdown of fees.

Q. My water has been shut off for non-payment. How do I get it turned back on?
A. The full balance due plus a reconnection fee must be paid before your water can be restored. This can be done Monday-Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. at City Hall on second floor. Water service will be restored on the day of payment. Service will not be restored on weekends.


Q. Are campfires allowed in my backyard?
A. Yes. A campfire is defined as a "fire for cooking, warming, or recreational purposes burning only clean, untreated wood or charcoal".
See the Faribault City Code, Section 10-35.


Q. Who is responsible for trees in the boulevard?
A. The homeowner is responsible for the maintenance and trimming of trees, as well as mowing of the grass in the boulevard. If a tree or limb has fallen and is obstructing traffic call the Public Works Department to have the tree moved off the street. It is then the homeowner's responsibility to dispose of the tree. This may be done at the City's compost site free of charge.

Q. What are the leaf raking and lawn mowing restrictions?
A. Homeowners may not mow or rake yard debris into the street. It must be collected and discarded or composted. You must comply with City Code when constructing a compost pile in your yard. A citation may be issued for non-compliance.
See the Faribault City Code, Section 11-17.

Q. Where do I take my leaves and tree branches for disposal?
A. Please see the Public Works Department's Yard Waste page.


Q. I have left over paint and/or household chemicals. Where do I call?
A. Call the Rice County Recycling Center at 507-332-6833 for their restrictions and hours.

Q. I have used motor oil. What is the proper way to dispose of it?
A. Call the Rice County Recycling Center at 507-332-6833 for their restrictions and hours.

For other questions regarding disposal of products you can contact the Rice County Landfill at 507-332-6100 (Faribault), 507-744-5185 (Lonsdale), and 507-645-9576 (Northfield).

Noisy Neighbor Complaints

Q: How do I deal with a noisy neighbor?
A: See the Faribault City Code, Section 17-42, dealing with Nuisance Noise.

The key to the ordinance is the term, "unreasonably disturb the peace". Also note the time restrictions of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. that are stated in the ordinance. Remember that people have a right to use their property and this may result in noise at times. If you feel that the noise level is unreasonable please bring this to the attention of the property owner, or call for a police officer to make an assessment of the situation. Faribault officers are responsible for enforcing this ordinance. When the police department receives calls of loud vehicles (both loud music and loud exhaust), often the vehicle is out of the area when the officer arrives. Often officers will respond to a call of unreasonable noise and the person responsible will stop. After the police officer leaves the area the noise will start again. If this is the situation, call the police again and further action will be taken. Action may include another citation being issued and implementation of the city's repeat nuisance call ordinance to abate the noise.

If you wish to report noisy situations that violate the city ordinance, or have any questions about enforcement, please contact the Faribault Police Department. Give the complaint information to the dispatcher or ask for a patrol supervisor to contact you about the issue.


Q. I am having a garage sale. Do I need a permit?
A. No, A permit is not required.
See the Faribault City Code, Section 19-3.

Q. We have visitors with a camper/trailer. Where and how long can they park? Do they need permits?
A. Generally trailer parking is permitted on city streets for 3 hours in a 24-hour period.
See the Faribault City Code, Section 15-40.

Q. When do I need an obstruction permit?
A. Please see the Public Works Department's Permits & Applications page.

More information on Licenses and Permits

Sewers/Storm Water/Sump Pumps

Q. My sewer is backing up, where do I call?
A. During normal business hours call the Public Works Department. During non-business hours call emergency dispatch. (See contact information on the right side of this page.)

Q. The storm water catch basin near my home is causing the water to back up. What should I do?
A. The City staff cleans catch basins on a regular basis after large storm events or prior to hydrant flushing. Do not put yourself in any danger. If you are able to use a rake or another object to help move the blockage and restore the flow of water you may do so. Otherwise report it to the Public Works Department.

Q. I have a sump pump in my basement. Where can I legally discharge the water?
A. It is a violation of Minnesota state laws to discharge the water into the City's sanitary sewer system. You may check with the Public Works Department to see if a tile line is installed behind the curb of your property where you may connect. Otherwise you will have to discharge the water onto your yard.
See the Faribault City Code, Chapter 28 (Water and Sewers), including Article III (Sewers), and Division 4 (Discharges Into Sewers).


Q. How soon must I clear my sidewalk after a snowstorm?
A. The sidewalks must be cleared of snow and ice each day. Failure to do so within a 24-hour period can result in a citation.
See the Faribault City Code, Section 25-41.

Q. What are the winter parking regulations?
A. See the Faribault City Code, Section 15-44.
City ordinance prohibits parking on any City street after a two-inch or more snowfall or if the Director of Public Works announces a snow emergency. The City may enforce Section 15-44 between 1:00 a.m. and 8:00 a.m. Vehicles are subject to a citation and/or may be towed during this time.

Snow emergencies are announced on KDHL Radio 920AM and FCTV cable channel 10. A message is also left on the Public Works phone line 507-333-0368. In addition, the City has installed two blue lights downtown (on Central Ave and Division Street, and on Central Ave and 4th Street NW). These blue lights flash when a snow emergency has been announced for that evening.

Between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m., no vehicle parking is allowed on Central Ave from 1st Street to 5th Street year-around.

Q. If my vehicle is towed, how do I get it from the impound lot?
A. Your vehicle may be obtained by contacting Glenn's Towing Service at 628 Central Ave (507-334-4202). You will be responsible for the towing and impound fees.

Q. My mailbox was hit and broken by a City snowplow. Who is responsible for repairing or replacing it?
A. Contact the Public Works Department. Staff will be dispatched to determine the cause and responsibility for repair or replacement. See also the Public Works page on snow emergency information and guidelines (link to page).

Q. The sod on my boulevard was damaged by the City's snow removal equipment. Who is responsible for repairing or replacing it?
A. Contact the Public Works Department to report the damage. For more information see the City of Faribult Snow and Ice Control Guidelines on the Public Works Department's Snow page.


Q. We are planning to do some landscaping in our yard. Who do we call to locate buried phone, electrical or TV lines, or public utilities?
A. State law requires that you contact Gopher State One-Call at least two days in advance of any excavating. It is a FREE service. You can contact them at 1-800-252-1166 or visit their website for further information.

Q. Who is responsible for sidewalk maintenance and repair?
A. The owner of any property within the city abutting a public sidewalk shall keep their sidewalk in repair and safe for pedestrians.
See the Faribault City Code, Section 25-62.

Q. Where or to whom do I report a stop or yield sign that is obstructed by trees or bushes?
A. Report the location of the obstruction to the Public Works Department.

Q. Where do I report a malfunctioning streetlight, pothole, missing street sign or a semaphore that is malfunctioning?
A. On weekdays, call the Public Works Department with the location of the problem. A work order will be issued and the proper department will be notified. On weekends malfunctioning semaphores need to be called into Police Dispatch at 507-334-4305.

Q. I feel we need a stop sign in our neighborhood. What is the process to obtain one?
A. Fill out the Traffic Study Form on the Public Works Department's Streets page and send your written request to the Public Works Department stating where and why you feel the need. You may also fax your request. (Address and fax number are on the right side of this page.) A traffic study will be conducted and you will be notified of the result.

Q. Does the City provide dust control for gravel roads?
A. No, the City does not provide this service. However, the City uses the same procedures as Rice County. Residents interested in dust control will need to contract with an independent dust control firm. Currently, the County uses Dustcoating, Inc. from Maple Plain. Residents can contact Stan at 952-894-0012. Homeowners are billed directly for the service. Once the homeowner has scheduled dust control they need to contact the City so that road grading can be coordinated.


Q. I need to have my water temporarily shut off. Who do I call?
A. Call the Public Works Department (contact information is on the right side of this page).

Q. Does the city have specific lawn sprinkling hours and restrictions?
A. Yes, the city has an odd-even sprinkling restriction based on addresses. See the Annual Water RestrictionsWater & Sewer page for specific hours, schedules and penalties.

Q. Do these water restrictions apply to my newly sodden/seeded lawn?
A. No. The days are not restricted for new lawns, but the hours of usage are. You must register your new lawn at no charge by calling or e-mailing the Public Works Department.

Q. We have rusty water, what should I do?
A. Try running your cold water for 10-15 minutes to flush the lines, if that does not work call the Public Works Department.

Q. When and how often are the water hydrants flushed? Will I be notified?
A. The hydrants are routinely flushed to clean the distribution system. Residents are advised to avoid or limit water usage during the flushing period and to check for discoloration prior to using water for laundry purposes. The flushing is done twice a year, spring & fall. Generally this is done during the first week of May and the first week of October between the hours of 7:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. Flushing is done by quadrants on four separate nights. A notice will be published in the Faribault Daily News, FCTV cable channel 10, and on KDHL Radio (920 AM).

Quadrant 1: South of Hwy 60, West of 9th Ave. NW & SW (Tuesday)
Quadrant 2: South of Hwy 60, East of 9th Ave. NW & SW, West of the Straight River (Wednesday)
Quadrant 3: North of Hwy 60, South of 9th St. NW, East of 9th Ave NW, including entire East side of the Straight River (Thursday)
Quadrant 4: North of Hwy 60, West of 9th Ave NW, North of 9th St NW, West of the Straight River (Friday)

Q. My water smells/tastes like chlorine is it safe to use?
A. Probably. The City of Faribault adds 1.2-2.0 parts per million of chlorine to your drinking water for disinfection purposes. It also adds 0.5 ppm of ammonia to ensure chlorine will last thru the 130-mile water main distribution system. The taste can be improved by letting water stand exposed to air. If you feel it needs to be reported you can call the Public Works Department.

Q. Is fluoride in my drinking water?
A. Yes, 1.0-1.5parts per million as mandated by the MN Dept of Health. See "What chemicals does Faribault add to its water?" below. Also see the Drinking Water Quality Annual Report on the Public Works Department's Water & Sewer page. The City sends every water customer a copy of this document each year in July.

Q. What chemicals does Faribault add to its water?
A. The City of Faribault Water Department adds the following chemicals to water:
  • Chlorine: 1.2-2.0 ppm (disinfecting drinking water).
  • Ammonia: 0.5 ppm (Forming chloramines, this ensures that the chlorine will last throughout the water system, which is approximately 110 miles of water main in our distribution system.)
  • Fluoride: 1.0-1.5 ppm (Mandated by Minnesota Department of Health)
  • Polyphosphate: 1.0 - 1.5ppm (used for corrosion control and coating of the pipes to prevent the leaching of lead and copper into the drinking water).

Q. Is Faribault's water hard or soft?
A. The hardness-causing elements in water are primarily calcium and magnesium. Faribault's water has a total hardness of 342 mg/l or 20 grains per gallon. Any water with a total hardness over 300 mg/l is considered very hard. These numbers may be useful when setting your water softener.

Q. Does the City soften the water?
A. No.

Q. Where can I obtain information regarding the levels of lead in my drinking water?
A. See the Drinking Water Quality Annual Report on the Public Works Department's Water & Sewer page. You can also call the EPA's (Environmental Protection Agency) hotline for safe drinking water at 1-800-426-4761.

Q. What causes cloudiness in my drinking water? Is it dangerous?
A. The Environmental Protection Agency sets secondary standards based on aesthetic characteristics, not health effects, which water systems and states can choose to adopt. Temporary cloudiness is generally caused by air bubbles.

Q. How can I get my drinking water tested?
A. Call the Faribault Wastewater Treatment Plant at 507-334-8696 to request a list of certified laboratories that conduct these tests. You can also call the MN Department of Health at 612-676-5674 or There is a charge for these services.

If you have other questions that you would like to have answered or added to this Web site please contact the Public Works Department.

Web Development by Livefront, a Minneapolis Web Design firm.