- Frozen Water Service Lines — 2/19/2014
- Due to the amount of frozen water services as a result of frost depth, city staff is recommending residents check the cold tap water temperature. If the cold water temperature drops to 40 degrees or less, staff recommends residents consider running their cold water at a small stream to prevent freezing of their water service. This will result in a higher utility bill and is at the homeowner's expense, but can help you keep your water service from freezing. For additional information see City Code Section 28-51.
- Consumer Confidence Water Quality Report — 4/4/2013
- Wellhead Protection Plan Implementation Summary — 11/20/2012
- General Water Analysis — 8/15/2012
- Wellhead Protection Plan — 11/1/2010
- Faribault Wellhead Protection Plan (PDF)
- Wellhead Protection Plan Appendix I (PDF) — Large File: 5MB
- Wellhead Protection Plan Appendix II (PDF) — Large File: 2MB
- Wellhead Protection Plan Appendix III (PDF) — Large File: 2MB
- Wellhead Protection Plan Appendix IV (PDF)
- Wellhead Protection Plan Appendix V (PDF)
- FOG Fats, Oils, & Grease — 6/4/2009
Annual Water RestrictionsTo conserve water resources and allow the city's water system flexibility in meeting peak demands, certain limitations must be placed on the city's water supply. An odd-even sprinkling restriction based on street addresses is in effect from May 1 to September 30 each year. City water cannot be used for the purposes of irrigating or watering lawn, sod, or seeded areas between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. daily
- "No Watering" day. City water cannot be used for the purposes of irrigating or watering lawns, sod, or seeded areas.
Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday (before 10:00 a.m. and after 5:00 p.m.):
- Even-Numbered Residences
- Commercial Customers
Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday (before 10:00 a.m. and after 5:00 p.m.):
- Odd-Numbered Residences
- Homeowners Associations
- Apartment Complexes that provide a common irrigation system
PenaltiesFirst Offense: Warning
Second Offense: $25.00 Fine
Third Offense: $50.00 Fine
Fourth Offense: $100.00 Fine
Fifth Offense: Restrictive devise placed on sprinkler system and outside water tap
The water use restrictions do not apply in the following situations:
- Limited hand watering of plants using a hose
- Watering of new landscaping, sod, or seed within thirty (30) days of installation (a "new lawn" registration is required for this exemption)
- Watering from a source other than the city's water supply if the water user has registered the alternative source with Rice County and the alternative source is properly permitted by the State of Minnesota. Under this exemption, the city may inspect the property to ensure compliance.
New Lawn RegistrationContact the Public Works Department to register your new lawn. There is no fee for this service. Some restrictions remain in effect, including no watering between 10:00 a.m.-5:00 pm., and no watering on Mondays. The following information is needed to register your new lawn:
- Phone Number
- Date grass was planted or sod was laid
Water Treatment and DistributionThis division provides for daily operation and maintenance of the City’s potable water system, including five production wells, two pumping stations, chemical addition facilities, four storage tanks, water mains, valves, hydrants and reading customer meters. Division staff devotes significant time to responding to customer concerns, coordinating with contractors, and locating services lines. As with all divisions within the Public Works Department, the water/utilities division participates in snow and ice removal in conjunction with the street maintenance division. They also participate in seal coating operations.
The water subdivision employs a staff of three fulltime employees who work under the supervision of a Public Works Superintendent. The Superintendent may utilize staff from the utilities subdivision as well when needed for operations and maintenance. This subdivision also supplements its staff with 2 temporary employees each summer. One summer employee is used for locates and one is used for grounds maintenance for the water treatment facility and water storage facility.