A free library card is available to anyone who lives and/or owns property in Rice County. The Library has a responsibility to protect the taxpayers’ investment in Library materials. Therefore, identification and personal information is required to obtain a library card and you must present your library card each time you check out materials.
New Cards - Adults and Ages 16+
- Register in person at the front desk of the Buckham Memorial Library. Be prepared to verify both your identity and your current address. The easiest way to do this is to bring valid photo identification with you (driver’s license, passport, military ID, student ID) verifying who you are and your current local address.
- If your photo ID is not valid (current), it can still be used to verify your identity. Bring something else that verifies your current local address such as a checkbook, utility bill, rental agreement, property tax statement or other proof of property ownership.
- If you have a photo ID that verifies your identity, but it is not current and you do not have proof of your current address with you, you may still apply for a library card and your card will be mailed to you. However, in order to borrow materials the same day you apply, you must be able to verify both your name (identity) and current address.
New Cards – Children Ages 0-15
- Bring your parent or legal guardian with you to the front desk.
- Staff will issue the card over the counter if your parent or guardian presents his/her valid photo ID. If the parent’s ID. is not valid (current), it can still be used to verify the parent’s identity. The parent must also bring something else that verifies current local address such as a checkbook, utility bill, rental agreement, property tax statement or other proof of property ownership.
- If the parent has a photo ID that verifies his/her identity, but it is not current and he/she does not have proof of current address also, the parent may still apply for the child’s library card and the card will be mailed to the child. However, in order to borrow materials the same day, the parent must be able to verify both name (identity) and current address.
Minnesota Residents Living Outside the SELCO Region
If you are a Minnesota resident with a library card from a participating Minnesota library system, you can register your card with us and use it at the Buckham Memorial Library. This will allow you to use our many services, including checking out books, using subscription databases, and using the Internet terminals. You must present photo identification that verifies your address as well as your home library card when you use it at the Buckham Memorial Library for the first time. If you don't have a library card from your local library, you need to acquire one from them first.