Faribault's Energy Action Plan
In 2016 the City of Faribault applied to participate in Xcel Energy’s Partners in Energy, a two-year offering designed to support communities in developing and implementing an energy action plan to drive community-driven goals around energy. The City of Faribault was selected by Xcel Energy to be the seventh Partners in Energy community in Minnesota.
As a Partners in Energy participant, the City of Faribault gained unique access to city-specific energy data in conjunction with data analysis expertise. These resources allowed the City’s Energy Action Team to uncover opportunities to reduce energy waste and excess spending on energy.
Grounded in the values and strategic priorities of Faribault’s Community Vision 2040, the Energy Action Team developed an energy plan (Faribault's Energy Action Plan) that outlines a city-wide energy goal and cost-effective energy strategies to achieve it. The plan was approved by City Council on April 11, 2017.
Faribault's Energy Goal
Reduce community-wide energy expenditure by 1% annually from business as usual (2015 baseline).
By 2040 this is estimated to save Faribault residents and businesses over $8 million a year, with accumulated savings of over $100 million.
How will we get there?
2017-2020 Energy Priorities (click on a priority to learn more)
- Supporting Residents
- Faribault residents have access to resources to help them save money on their energy bills? Start saving energy and money now, it’s easier than it looks!
- Working with Commercial and Industrial Businesses
- The City of Faribault is committed to supporting our local businesses. Helping businesses increase energy efficiency means that entities can save money which benefits the city by boosting the local economy and creating jobs.
- Using Renewable Energy
- In addition to current energy efficiency efforts, the City of Faribault and other governments and institutions are transitioning to clean, renewables sources of energy. The City of Faribault, Rice County, and Faribault Public Schools subscribe to community solar gardens for some or all of their energy use.
- A Fleet of Electric Vehicles
- Faribault is committed to adding electric vehicles to its city fleet to save on spending and be an example for residents who we encourage to do the same.
Click here to see Faribault's Energy Action Plan.
@(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>