Mobile Wi-Fi Hotspots
Buckham Memorial Library offers mobile Wi-Fi hotspots for lending. Faribault residents can check out hotspots which will provide free, portable internet access. Buckham Memorial Library hotspots will allow up to ten Wi-Fi-enabled devices to connect at a time. Hotspots can be used for email, surfing the web, downloading ebooks, streaming video, and any other function for which you would normally use Wi-Fi or cellular data. Please read the Mobile Hotspot Lending Policy for complete details
Who can borrow a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot?
Hotspots can be checked out by an adult (18 years or older) resident of Faribault with a valid library card in good standing.
How can I check out a hotspot?
Stop by the library to see if a hotspot is available for checkout. Hotspots may not be requested in advance.
How long can I keep the hotspot?
Hotspots check out for one week. They cannot be renewed.
How do I use a hotspot?
1. The hotspot may need to be charged. Connect the USB cable into charging in port of the hotspot and plug the charger into a power outlet to begin charging. Charging may take 3-4 hours to complete.
2. Power on the mobile hotspot by holding the power key for three seconds. It may take several seconds for the hotspot to connect to the T-Mobile network.
3. On your computer or other Wi-Fi enabled device, search for available Wi-Fi networks and select the network named “Buckham_Hotspot”.
- From a Windows PC: Left-click Wireless Network Connection on the taskbar to view available networks. Choose the network name from the list of available networks.
- From a Mac computer: Select System Preferences -> Network -> Airport. Click Advanced to choose the network name from the list of available networks.
- From an iOS device: Settings -> Wi-Fi. Choose the network name from the list of available networks.
- From an Android device: Settings -> Wi-Fi settings. Choose the network name from the list of available networks.
4. Enter the password found on the information card included with the hotspot.
What if I have trouble connecting to the hotspot or staying connected?
- Move the hotspot to a different location. For example, try setting it by a window or taking it to a different side of the house, so it can more easily connect with a T-Mobile cell tower.
- Restart the hotspot and your personal device.
- Check to see that the Wi-Fi connection on your personal device is turned on. This can be done in the settings menu on your device.
- Make sure the hotspot is not more than 30 feet away from your personal device. The connection strength will be weaker if your device is farther away from the hotspot.
Is there any data limit?
In general there is no data limit. However, the service provider may lower speed or limit the amount of data that its network can handle for a short time.
Is information about my Internet usage tracked by the Library or the service provider?
Buckham Memorial Library does not have access to or collect specific usage data, and does not provide patron information to the service provider.
How do I return the hotspot?
Please return the hotspot to the Circulation Desk inside the library. Do not return the hotspot in the outside book drop.
What if I am late returning the hotspot?
If the hotspot is overdue, data will be turned off making it useless for Internet access. Hotspots that are not returned on the due date will be considered lost and the borrower will be charged the full replacement cost of $50. This charge can be waived as soon as the hotspot is returned in working order. Multiple instances of returning hotspots late will result in suspension or termination of hotspot borrowing privileges.
What if the hotspot is lost, stolen, or damaged?
Please report the incident to the library as soon as possible. You will still be responsible for the $50 replacement fee.
What if I have other questions or concerns?
Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns by calling the Information Desk at (507) 334-2089 during regular business hours.