Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
A strong parks and recreation system is essential for a thriving community.
- Four out of the five North Americans use their local parks and recreation system.
- 70% have a park or recreation facility within walking distance of their home
Parks influence our lives and we tend not to give them much thought. They require professional care and financial support to keep them clean, safe and suitable for the community.
Access to parks and recreation facilities leads to healthy lifestyles for people of all ages.
- Parks, greenways and trails enable and encourage people to exercise.
- Exposure to nature improves psychological and social health.
- Recreation programming helps to combat the national obesity epidemic through the development of healthy lifestyles, minds and bodies.
Parks, open spaces and trails play a key role in preserving water and air quality, reducing congestion and protecting wildlife.
Through the provision of parks, open spaces and protected natural environment, recreation can contribute to the environmental health of our communities.
Parks and recreation sources give communities a vital identity.
- Parks and recreation opportunities encourage citizens to be engaged in their communities as volunteers, stewards, advocates and students.
- Community recreation reduces alienation, loneliness and anti-social behaviors.
Parks enhance property values, contribute to healthy and productive work forces and help attract and retain businesses.
- Parks and recreation facilities make communities desirable places to live, work, play and visit.
- Parks and recreation services motivate business relocation and expansion in the community.
- In a national public opinions survey, 57% of respondents said if they were in the market to buy a new home, they would be more likely to select a home if it was close ot parks and open space.